Saturday 15 January 2022

NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN A NEW TRICK OR TWO!

 

15th January, 2022

We are all probably doing our best to get through January. It can be a hard month, but it can literally have it's rays of sunshine. My daughter was born in late January 40 years ago, and it was a beautiful sunny day. She was born in a military hospital, the Louise Margaret in Aldershot. Although it was a military hospital, it was available to us civilians too. It was a wonderful hospital, where both my children were born, and you couldn't ask for better treatment, even from a private hospital.

I had my own room during labour and I clearly remember looking out on a wonderful garden, bathed in golden sunshine. It helped me take my mind off things, if only for a little while. :-) Some how, sunshine and bright blue skies always seem to make you feel better. They give you hope of better things to come. Life may change, but always hope for the better and do your best to make it that way.

I am carrying on with my plan to motivate myself. Little things that concentrate my mind and encourage good habits. At the moment I have been posting a photo of one brooch from my collection on Instagram each day, and saying something about it. I know that it might seem a trivial thing to do, but it focuses my mind on finding the brooches, photographing them and then putting them online each day.

When you are at home a lot, for whatever reason, it is so easy to slip into doing nothing all day and a task as small as this helps you to establish the get up, dress up and get on with life attitude you really do need if you are going to feel your best.

I have collected my brooches over a long period of time, and each and every one has a special memory. I have always loved jewellery and shiny things. They can be so small, but can bring so much joy. When I was over 20 stone, a lot of jewellery didn't seem to “fit”, but a brooch always did. I have around about forty four at the moment, But I know my collection hasn't stopped. Most of them haven't cost a lot of money, not that that matters, but they all shine in one way or another. You do run the risk of damaging them if you wear them too much, but they are there to be worn and they give me so much pleasure, and hopefully others appreciate them too.

I am always looking at different ways to wear things and adapt them possibly for a different use. As I have said before, I do love to shop in a charity shop or two. Not really ever having a lot of disposable cash, it definitely is a cheaper way to dress yourself, especially if you don't mind being a little imaginative and think out of the box. There are so many treasures you can find, and up to now I have, and I am still going. ☺️

There is someone I have found on YouTube who is such an inspiration. The name of her channel is “PoppyK” and it can be found at https://www.youtube.com/user/ktcreid. She is based here in the UK, not America as so many are, and she does a lot of charity shop and vintage outlet shopping. How she manages to pick up some of the wonderful things she does, I am not sure, but she does and puts them together in outfits that give people inspiration to give it a go themselves. Maybe not in the same way that she does, but it opens the mind to new ways of thinking. She also has videos of when she has upcycled items, either by embellishing what she has bought, to help it to fit better, or completely changing something into something else.

She is an inspiration to watch and has such an imagination when it comes to putting her charity shop finds together. I know that watching her has definitely given me some new and much needed ideas. She is well worth a watch or two... or three ☺️

I have started going through my clothes rail with a different pair of eyes. Over the next few weeks I shall start to put outfits together for Spring, which is rapidly approaching, (yes, it will come), and see what I need to keep and what I can give away. As I have a rule of one thing given away, one thing gained, I may be in for a charity shop hunt very shortly indeed.

I will let you know how it all goes, but in the meantime give “PoppyK” a watch. You too may learn something new.

Until next time,

Love, Jackie.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment