Friday 11 June 2021

THE ROUNDABOUT IN MY MIND

 11th June, 2021

These last few weeks I feel like I have been on a roundabout, going around and around, not knowing which road to go on to. My mind is beginning to clear now, and after having a few days of not really thinking about anything, I think I know now where I am going with things.

When you are younger you are so busy with work, or bringing up a family, or both, that you don't really have this issue, but some things like weight loss can concern you no matter what else is going on in your life. I was listening the other day to someone talk about their weight loss plan and how it was different because you didn't get obsessed about food. I have never used this method, and won't do now, but I must admit it is difficult not to get obsessed about food when you are trying to lose weight. Then again if it works for some people then that is all that matters. That really is the thing, finding what works for you as a person. There are so many diets and weight loss plans out there and it is difficult to know which is best. As long as it is a healthy way and does no harm, then it is worth a try. However, there are many plans out there that are not healthy. When you are desperate to lose weight, perhaps for a holiday or a special occasion, you quite often want something that works quickly, but that's not really the answer, especially for those of us that have a lot of weight to lose. There lies the problem. How do you know what is right for you, you personally? As I have said a number of times in the past, we are all different and the one person who knows you, truly knows you, is... yes, you've guessed it! YOU! However, when you are new to losing weight, or have tried everything that's there and “failed”, you are always looking for the next thing to try. Now, before I carry on, let me just say that if you have lost weight before and “failed”, I believe you haven't failed at all even if you feel that way. You have just not found the right way for you. Some plans even depend on you thinking that you have failed, because then you will come back time and time again to that same plan because you believe it's a good one. I saw an interesting cartoon which showed two people talking and the conversation went...

“How are you going to lose weight for your holiday?"

“I am going back to *****slimming club. It's worked for me the last three times!” :-)

Now, are we wanting to lose weight over and over again, or do it once and lose it for good? Or, at least find a way to help us to have a more healthy relationship with food.

Think for one moment. Who is benefitting from this situation? You? Or the organisation? Of course, the choice is yours, as always.

What you need to be sure of is who is giving you the information that you are receiving to lose weight. Just because they are working for an organisation, or even have a qualification, they still may not fully know what they are telling you. A qualification could be in a completely different subject, or may not fully cover the subject they are telling you about. I have been reading the book “Food Isn't Medicine” by Dr. Joshua Wolrich, and in it he says that doctor's training in nutrition is limited compared to the extensive other training they do to earn their medical qualification. How many of us when a doctor tells us to lose weight get referred to a dietician? Not many, and even when you are, it can take months and months before you actually get to see one. When we try to lose weight by going to clubs or buying a weight loss plan do we really check if the person who is talking to us or selling the plan is fully knowledgeable and trained to help us. I am sure some are. There are two times that I myself have had the opportunity to give out weight loss information to the general public for money.

The first time was when I considered running a slimming club meeting for an independent company that was starting up. They knew I had lost weight, although not with them, and offered me two days training. That's twelve hours in total for me to learn how to teach their way. Now, twelve hours is not long time at all. I have qualifications in nutrition, but they weren't interested in that. They just wanted to give training on their diet and on their plan. They felt that was all that was needed to run a club. This was training to cover the plan and what to do. No training on the needs of the individual, and recognising which clients might need more help than others and the psychology of weight loss.

The second time I have been contacted was very recently. A quite well known company that sells meal replacements and supplements must have seen my blog and they contacted me to sell their products. They only knew, at the most, what I have written in my blog, but if they really read it, and payed attention to what I had written, beyond the fact that I had lost weight, then they would have known I would not have been interested. That is not the way that I lost weight and there is no way I would take money from someone to buy a company product to lose weight. I am sure that some who do sell these products care about who they sell them to, but there is a possibility that making money could be more important even if the product works long term or not.

How I lost weight is personal to me and personally tailored to me, by me. I have spent much time finding out about me and, with a few mistakes, have worked out what I need to do, still forever learning along the way. People do say to me quite a lot “Tell me what you have done to lose weight. I need to do it too”. I will always say I will tell you what has worked for me with pleasure, but it may not be the way for you. I can tell them the basics of what I have done, but it is not a new magical way, and they really need to think and research what is right for them. I am not an expert and I don't feel that just because I have lost seven stone plus I am qualified to give people advice. It is clear from my blog that there are many times when I have stumbled – and still do – but I am only responsible for myself. I also know that my way is the right way for me and I'll carry on to try to lose my last half stone. You can probably see from what I have just said that I have now decided to carry on with weight loss for a short time and, indeed, hopefully lose some more weight. I am around 13 stone 4 lbs at the moment and I think I would like to get down to around 12 stone 11 lbs, so another 7 lbs to go. I know it won't be easy and a lot of re-planning will need to be done. I am going away shortly for a week and then, after a holiday with the grandchildren, hopefully I'll be going into hospital for my hip replacement surgery. I am 25th on the list at the moment, so nearly there. I am feeling quite positive. I have come this far. After a little while going around and around on my mind's roundabout, I now have my indicators on to turn off onto the road I need.

Until next time,

Love, Jackie

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment