Sunday 31 May 2020

NO MAGIC PILL

31st May 2020

Weight loss is never easy, whether you have a small or large amount to lose.
I know sometimes I have wished that there was a tablet I could take one night before bed so I could wake up the next day at the weight I wanted to be. Then all I would have to do is take another pill and stay that way forever. A bit like Alice in Wonderland, she got to eat cake :-)
But life is not like that. I know that there are many things out there that say they make weight loss easier, and they may do for some people, but nothing has ever worked for me. Years ago my ex-husband started to pyramid sell from quite a famous company which I think is still around. I had to take a number of tablets each day which contained vitamins, minerals, cellulose etc., and then, if I remember right, as it must have been 30 years ago, you had to mix up and drink two shakes a day. They tasted horrible and were quite expensive.
They didn't work, and I was still eating the wrong things and too many of them. If I also remember there was a chew-like tablet on the market when I first started to “diet” that was supposed to suppress the appetite, but, again, it didn't work for me. I still ate.
When I needed to lose weight back in 2002, just as my first marriage was ending, I was prescribed medication by my GP which was also formulated to reduce the appetite. I really don't know if it helped or not as I was going through a divorce, working long hours so I could buy the family home and not be on the street. I was getting weighed at the surgery every month to check my weight, so that did motivate me. As I have said before, I did lose weight, but it didn't stay off. I should also add that a few years later I found out that that medication, which I took for about a year, had been taken off the prescribing list, and I heard various stories as to why.
Another time I was offered bariatric surgery and said no. I know that for a lot of people it has worked, which is wonderful, but it is not for me. I do love food, and could not imagine having that taken away from me. I really wanted to have my cake and eat it.
I can't write this without mentioning slimming clubs. I have been to them all. Some that are still around, and some that no longer run. Now, I don't want to upset the many men and women who have lost weight through a club and are very happy. That is absolutly great. The group support and incentives to lose weight as you go every week works for many and that can only be good, but for many like me it just doesn't stay off. I will talk about this, along with my feelings, in a future blog.
For me, I just didn't feel comfortable in a slimming club. The format of the club was not for me, and it often made me personally feel worse, not better. But as I say, that's just how I feel and I had to find a better way for me.
I have tried a lot, read about, and seen shelves full of ideas and products that profess to make weight loss easier, but it is not an easy thing to achieve and keeping it off is even harder. It's not just as simple as eating less of the things you love, because it's so easy to eat more of those things that you love. The eating of the sugary, fatty things does make putting the weight on so easy. Because of this I'm not sure if any of these products can really change the way people think.
I think all of us would love for losing weight to be quick and easy but I want to do it the proper way and hopefully for good, so it isn't that easy.
What goes in has to balance what comes out or, put another way, when losing weight what you eat must be as healthy as you can whilst having less calories than you would burn off by exercise and everyday living.
I continue on my journey using my previous experiences and learning new things along the way to give myself a better, healthier, life.
Sadly, in my experience, there is no magic way to lose and keep off weight or to grow taller like Alice, for my weight at the moment would be perfect if I was ten feet tall :-)
So I will carry on what I am doing and one day I WILL get to be where I what to be.
Jackie
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment