Tuesday 2 June 2020

THERE IS A JUNCTION IN THE ROAD

2nd June 2020
For the past few days I have been thinking about those times in my life that I have thought “Things have to be different”. To have a better quality of life, things have to change. I feel uncomfortable using the word “change” at the moment, as it has become synonymous with what is happening in America.
It is also that time of year when I reamember what happened in the Punjab in India in 1984. These, as so many other times in history, remind us that things in the world need to change.
Whether this will ever happen, I do not know but I have always thought that there has to be hope that they will.
I am a passionate person who believes that we all have the power to make things better on a personal or even wider level.
Sometimes I know I have not had the choice about things changing. We all had that feeling back in March when life as we knew it became different overnight. Looking back now, it's hard to believe what has happened over the last ten weeks, and now we are faced with things changing daily and not always knowing just what we can and cannot do. A countrywide time of control, with not a lot of choice.
Some people cope with change better than others, and having choice does not always make this easier.
I know myself in my life that having a choice to change my situation has definitely not always been easy, especially when I have had a lot of factors to consider.
Change can be good, but it can also be scary and it is so much easier, for whatever reason, to simply plod along and stay the way we are, even if we know we are not happy and often angry with that situation we are in. We feel trapped and helpless and find it impossible for things to be different. We feel we do not have a choice, even when we do.
For me, it's my health, my weight, being an older woman and being accepted for who I am that are the personal issues I would like to change, plus the cases of prejudice in many forms that I see all around me.
Obviously it is easier to change my personal situation, after all I am responsible for myself. It's only me that can make that decision that I need to. I do have a choice.
The issues I feel relevent to me are the challenges that I have the choice to change if I am not happy, and want things to be better. There are so many that I wish I had dealt with better. I wish I had said something. I wish that I had had the strength to fight back and change things when they needed changing.
I said many years ago that I wanted to end my days sitting in an armchair having no regrets, and honestly feeling that I'd done my best.
Whether it will be that way I do not know, but I will carry on trying to do the best I can.
It was hard for me to write this post in these very emotional times, having varying relevent personal thoughts and feelings. I enjoy my writing. It helps me a lot to get my thoughts down, as difficult as it can sometimes be. Hopefully, next time it will be easier.

Jackie
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment