Thursday 16 December 2021

WHY DO THEY ASK, WHEN QUITE OFTEN THEY TELL?

 

16th December, 2021.


I sit down to write, looking across through the window at a beautiful kestrel sitting on the church roof opposite. For that bird, life hasn't changed that much. It's been born and it lives it's life looking for food and doing what it needs to do to survive. It has  been that way for each creature with very little change for hundreds of years, except that now even our village is more urbanised than it was, and finding food must be harder than it used to be.

For nature the changes seem so slow, dependent on the weather and environment, etc., but for us the changes can be so much more dramatic. Things have definitely changed as I have got older. Technology and methods of communication have changed, for the better? I'm not so sure. I would argue that some forms of personal communication have declined. People don't seem to talk to each other, personally, really talk to each other in the way that they used to do. It is now dependent on the use of one device or another. It strikes me also, rightly or wrongly, that the way many people think has changed. . They don't always seem to think for themselves but instead rely on what their favourite celebrity or influencer are saying. I happened to see on Twitter recently a well known celebrity in some circles was asking if any of their followers were feeling tired. They said they were not exercising enough, were comfort eating, and had gone up two dress sizes. They wanted a new start in the New Year and wanted suggestions from their followers. They had always said no to diets but wanted to know what other people thought. There were nearly 1,500 replies.

I find this so confusing. For what reason would they be asking people they don't know for advice, when they have had a personal trainer in the past and had the resources to find out. Of course, people were quick to offer their advice as though the ideas they put forward were new or they had a platform to offer the services that they provided.

I won't go into this in too much detail, but I can't help thinking to myself, for what reason would this celebrity be asking this? For some feature in the New Year? Or perhaps to get an emotional connection to their followers? Who knows? I must admit, it all seems very, very strange to me.

December can be a difficult month in many ways, even though it can be full of joy with plenty of eating, drinking and celebrations. This can add extra issues to those of us who are trying to maintain a weight loss. What can we do to to limit the damage to our progress ?

I will write more about my thoughts in my next blog, which will follow shortly.

Until then,

Love, Jackie

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment