Sunday 19 December 2021

DAMAGE LIMITATION

 19th December, 2021.


I wrote last time about communication and how easy it seems we can have a conversation with a 'celebrity', and where these conversations can lead. I have learnt over the years to work things out for myself as much as I can, and, as I have said, I find a lot of this a very strange concept. How someone can let someone else who doesn't know them, has a different life and different life experiences influence  their life is something I find hard to contemplate. Now I am not saying we can not learn from others, we can of course, but to not think for ourselves and be empowered by our own development and completely depend on someone else's ideas is not for me.  When I was young you were a fan of a pop star etc and followed what they did but to depend on an ordinary person to think and advise you completely feels very unnatural to me. Even though I write, I do primarily do it for myself. If it strikes a chord with anyone out there, and it helps, then that is a bonus, but it is something I very rarely find out about. If someone tells me I have helped them, then that is fantastic, but the majority of the time, I never know.

This time of year is especially hard when it comes to motivation for healthy eating and exercise. The weather is not always good, the nights arrive so early and are so long and celebrations like Christmas are bound to encourage us to eat more than usual. I am at home now and do not work due to ill health, but I do remember Christmas celebrations during my working years. There was one year I had five Christmas dinners during December, not including the day itself, which I quite often worked before I had my children.

There was always, and still is, so much food around, and so much temptation. How often have we thought “I am going to eat what is there, enjoy myself and then look at the situation in January”? There is, in theory, nothing wrong with thinking that way, however you really need to look at yourself and see if this really works for you. Christmas is only one day, how often do we hear that, and it is - but a day that sometimes seems to start with an advent calendar and end somewhere in the end of January. Of course, you have to finish off all the food you have left, that you thought you might need for that day or two. :-)

If we do put on a little bit of weight, we have plenty of time to lose it before the weather warms up and we don't need so many layers on, don't we? Some of us are under more temptation than others with office parties, etc. but with so much temptation when we go shopping we are all at risk. Now, because some work parties have had to be canceled because many of us are once again working from home, will we buy more to compensate and cheers ourselves up?

Cheering ourselves up is another topic of discussion because, as we know, eating to cheer ourselves up can quickly bring on feelings of being down because of the weight damage we might have done.

All we can do is to try and decide what is right for us, or, at the least, try to carry out damage limitation. I know that a “diet” that is strict will not work for me it has too my limitations. Neither will a free reign when I can eat what I want during a four week period and see where it takes me. There has to be some restraint, but also some flexibility. Oh, if only is was so easy! :-) I know personally that if I wanted to eat completely what I wanted to eat throughout December I could put on a good 7 to 10 pounds in weight. Weight that would then make me feel bad about myself and weight that would have to go before I even think about any extra pounds I would like to lose. It's a position I don't want to put myself in. I do not want to deny myself Christmas treats, but I do not want to be scared of overeating. I will do my best to look at what I have learnt over this last year and find myself a comfortable compromise.

I know I can do it. I will set myself the challenge of having a good Christmas and coming out the other side happy with myself knowing that I have done my best.

All for now,

With love to you all,

Jackie

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment