Wednesday 24 June 2020

WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU GET !!!


24th June, 2020
I am writing this blog at 8:30 in the morning. I don't think I have ever started writing this early before, but there's a first time for everything. Firstly I must start with a confession. It was just the way I was feeling this morning, one of those times you feel the way you do, you don't know why and then my porridge boiled over in the microwave! That was it! I decided that was having honey in my porridge. Not only banana, but honey! So I had it. 50 odd extra calories in my porridge, the end of my world, my diet was spoiled for the day. I was going to put the four stones back on in five minutes, that was the end – NOT! It didn't matter, it was one of those moments and do you know what? I didn't even like it. It was far too sweet, but there you go, moment over, lesson learned as I chuckled to myself.
Now the reason for my blog title this time. Have you ever felt that when you meet someone they don't really get who you are, or have you seen someone that looked different and instantly decided you don't like them, they look scary, strange, they are not your type for whatever reason. Back in the early 90s I was studying for a qualification to teach adults. We were all sitting there at the start of the class, chatting away, when in walked this bag lady, a tramp, badly dressed and carrying two big carrier bags. She just walked in, chatting away. We just looked at each other in disbelief. She moved around the room, looking for somewhere to sit chatting to individuals as she progressed, causing both chuckles and embarresment to many people as she passed. It was a very strange situation as she couldn't find anywhere to sit, and one of the males students wasn't so happy when she sat on his knee :-). She moved back to the front of the class and we thought she was leaving, much to the relief of some of those in the room. But, no! She stood there and started to take some clothing off. All of a sudden there was a gasp in the room as we realised that she was the tutor!
That day was our lesson, as adult education tutors, that all your students would not be the same, would not learn in the same way and to try to accept them for who they are. Individuality is something to celebrate, but unfortunately it isn't always accepted for many reasons.
We are judged by how we look, how we behave, how we speak, how we dress, and quite often wrongly.
I love many kinds of music from rock to classical. It's the music itself, not always who performs it. It's not always easy for me now to listen to some music because of my hearing problems, but I love the diversity, We once went out to an all day gig, a fundraiser for a local charity, and we got chatting to the chap who was running the event. I happened to mention I liked the American Progressive Metal band Dream Theater, and he said to me that I didn't look like the sort of person who would go to a Dream Theater concert! What does that statement really mean? I asked him that, and he just didn't know what to say! Steve has seen Dream Theater numerous times and I have seen them three times. Do you know, we have seen leather clad rockers, people in jeans and t-shirts, all ages. Once there was even a lady in twin set and pearls (not me, I hasten to add). Does there have to be a look to be authentic and true?
I think it is thought in society that this is so, and to a certain extent it has to be. In certain places an accepted look is necessary, whether it is in the workplace, some formal occasions, religious places etc., but there is always room for individuality. Knowing who you are and being able to express that in the way you look is important, but as I have said it is not always easy. Things change, we change and sometimes who we are sometimes seems to disappear. It's almost like all of a sudden we feel lost and unable to express how we feel. Some people do not really see us for who we feel we are. We almost feel, at best, misunderstood, or, at worst, invisible.
I know, with myself, that I feel that way. I am big (but getting smaller), a lot older than I was with my hair now a lovely silver white and I walk with a walker, but I don't feel seen or often not taken seriously by strangers I talk to. If I can get the chance to talk to them, then they often change their mind, but you don't always get the time to talk. I feel now is the time for me to change that feeling, and I am beginning to learn new ways that this can be achieved.
I should add, before I finish for today, that I am trying so hard to not let it matter what people think, but we all do feel that way sometimes, and anything that can be done to boost confidence can't be a bad thing, can it?
My learning curve just got steeper, but it could be fun. Who knows?

Jackie
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment