Monday 22 June 2020

TO BE SCARED OF SOMTHING YOU LOVE


21st June 2020
For many, many years I have loved food, tasty, good quality, gorgeous food. Now there is technically nothing wrong with that, it is the tool that fuels your body, but it how you use that tool to enable you to fuel your body correctly. I am not a driver, but I know that you wouldn't put the wrong fuel into a car, otherwise it won't run well or for long. A lot of us don't think twice about the fuel we put into ourselves. If we don't put the right nutrients in and have the right balance of food groups then our health is the thing to suffer.
As much as I love food, I have had so many issues about it. I grew up in Yorkshire until I was sixteen, and the food at home was good and plentiful. I lived with my Grandma and Grandad, who had both grown up through two world wars, and now there were no limits on food, it was there a-plenty. Having always been a large child and teenager, it got no better. I knew no different.
By the time I met my first husband, I was studying catering, and along with being introduced to Indian food, my love of food developed.
On the other hand, pressure was put on me, by my husband-to-be, to lose weight and the conflict started in earnest. This was 1975 and fast forward 44 years to 2019 and I still hadn't really learnt to live in harmony with it. As I have said before I am an all or nothing type of person, so it was eat it all, or don't eat it at all.
I have finally realised that had to change.
I am lucky that I have eaten in some really special places over the years and I had to do something to be able to bring good food into my life without the guilt. Even when I lost weight in 2014 I was still in the mindset of leaving out the foods that I loved and then “treating” myself to a lot of sweety, fatty, gorgeous tasting food before I started the next week cutting things back big time in an obsessional way.
I have said in a past blog that I even stopped watching cookery programmes on TV and looking at my many cookery books because I just couldn't look at food. I couldn't think about it, I just wanted to get through each day, get to the next and then get to the next weekly weigh in.
When I was offered a gastric bypass, I declined, because it wasn't for me. I couldn't bear to have the food I love taken away from me. I know a lot of people have had that surgery and have been very happy, but it wasn't for me.
Taking all this into account, I had to find a way, to find a balance with food. Not an easy thing to achieve.
In the past it was all about weight going down on the scales, not what I was eating.
I even went to the extreme of using laxatives when I was young because I was frightened of what my then boyfriend and later 1st husband, would do if I didn't lose weight. Fortunately that stopped and was a silly thing to do, but that was the pressure I was put under. Even when I had lost weight he still told me I was fat and ugly, so I was fighting a losing battle.
My attitude got a little better once we had split up and divorced, but I still hadn't got the balance I needed and really I was still scared to eat when I was in a losing weight mode.
Since last year I have started to look at what I eat in a different way. It started with portion control and knowing that if I wanted something “naughty” in the day it was okay.
Once I had got this into my head most of the time :-) I started to look at the foods and dishes that I liked and how I could adapt them to be healthy, and if I couldn't and still needed them, incorperate them into my daily plan with limited damage to my eating plan.
It was a simple plan. I know which food groups I should have and in what proportion and what calories I need to go in, to balance the calories I use in my daily living and using the right amount to enable weight loss. It was roughly 1,600 calories. Easy yes – well not really, but I was prepared to learn.
I had my calorie allowance, so I knew what I could use. I just needed to look at what I wanted to eat, that I enjoyed and were healthy, but gave me leeway to enjoy an occasional “treat”. It's taken me eight months of adjustment but I am getting there. I have porridge for breakfast most days, sometimes a full grilled English breakfast, but only once in a while. Soup or salad for my lunch, and then a healthy ordinary meal in the evening. This is taking it right down to the bone and it isn't always easy but it seems to be working. I am adapting recipes to fit in with my plan and I am starting to enjoy food again. The fear and anxiety is also a lot better than it was, but it's still a work in progress.
Up to now I have lost 4 stone and 5 lbs, 27 lbs in the lockdown period, so so far I have a good start for the rest of my journey.
So the correct fuel is going into the machine, I just need to drive it, and that's taking a lot more adjustment than just preparing and eating food.
It's got to be worth it, hasn't it?
See you next time.
Jackie
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment