Tuesday 1 September 2020

WHAT SIZE AM I? AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY, DOES IT MATTER?


1st September, 2020
Size, in many ways is a strange thing. We know when we are big and when we are small, but it's when it becomes generalised it can cause problems.
In history the cavemen and Romans etc. didn't have these problems as the fur skins or togas were generally one size fits all. As we moved along in time, clothes were hand made and so were made for the person who was wearing them. It wasn't until clothes were mass produced that the issues started to happen. To try and standardize a particular size is bad enough, but all of a sudden there is also the possibility of having to justify what size we are. Ladies fashion seems slightly more problematic than men's. Men's clothes go by waist, chest and neck size etc., we ladies have the size 8 through to size 30 plus in the UK, but European sizes and American are different. How do we guess at what size we are, and why should it matter what the number on the label says?
We are not standard, but clothes sizes try to be. Even more confusing that one size 10 can be different from another size 10 depending on the brand.
If we could just try clothes on and look at what looks good and what doesn't, there would be far less of an issue, but many of us know it just doesn't work that way. When we are “thin”, if we try on a size 12 and it fits, we feel great. If it doesn't fit we feel fat – and of course it's OUR fault, not the brand of clothes. We can be conditioned to think that the smaller the number on the label, the better we are. I read a saying somewhere “It's not the clothes size, it's the attitude” and I wish that all of us with weight issues could feel that way. There is so much pressure put on us to be a smaller size, and some brands only go up to a size 16 as if anyone over that size either doesn't exist, or deserve to wear those clothes. They sometimes argue that the style would not work with a larger size. So does that mean that over a certain size we should only wear loose things, and nothing that is fitted if we choose to? There is a lot more choice in larger sizes these days, but it still comes down to size.
You have larger ladies brands and plus brands, but quite often they still follow a type of look, and quite often the models that wear them are smaller or as well proportioned as they can be. All this still adds to the many issues that can occur when we look at how the models look and how we think we look. How many of us think when we are thin we will look good?
Going back to clothes sizes I realise we have to have some idea of what size something is to give us an idea of what will fit us, but what we need is less emphasis on the actual size and more on the fact of how something looks. The day that the pressure to be judged by a number on a label goes will be a good day, but until then it is up to us to take a real good look at ourselves and learn to like what we see. I know for many of us it is so hard. It is for me, and I have to try so hard not to get upset when one size 18 fits and another doesn't. The size I am is a lot smaller than the size I was and that, for me, is what should matter. If one size 18 doesn't fit I haven't put weight on, it's just that that particular brand is smaller and I should not let that get me down. Size in that context should not matter, the number on the label should not matter, it is how I feel that matters. I will do my best to try and remember that, and not be defined by anything else. That is the best I can achieve, a me that is not a number someone else says I should be.

Jackie
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment