Thursday 15 May 2014

MOTIVATION PART TWO (THIS TIME IT'S GOING TO BE DIFFERENT)

I wrote in my last blog entry about my past attempts at losing weight and why I feel they failed. I thought at the time I was doing the right thing, but I know now it was for all the wrong reasons. Whether it be for a peaceful life or because I was showing someone that I was better than them and better than they were making me out to be.
This time however, I started out with a lot more confidence and feeling stronger than I had been all my life and I had taken 55 years to get here. This time it HAD to work, and for all the right reasons.
So here I was, with at least seven or eight stone to lose. A long journey. How was I going to find the motivation to start, carry on and to keep going. I have a lot of support from my family and friends and that means so much to me, but there are some times when you are on your own. When you are bored, when you are down and when life sends you those horrible dips and troubles and you feel that you could so easily just give up.
I decided in the beginning that I would become "obsessed" and keep my mind focused on the task ahead.
I read all that I could, watched every TV programme going about weight loss and mapped out all I was going to eat each day. Fortunately at the beginning of each year we have so much on TV about how to lose those pounds we have put over Christmas. However, I had a 100 plus pounds to lose. That would take a bit longer.
I settled down to think about this "Change 4 Life". It had to be something that could be done now as a way of life without too much discomfort. Little changes can become big changes with time.
You need to look at how you got to where you are before you can make those changes. I find you need to think about the things that can help you stay motivated.
We are all different and see things in different ways but we can all think about what helps us.
What is good about the "Change 4 Life" way is that no food is banned. You learn that some foods are better than others, but if you still want to eat something now and again you can. I like to pick at food sometimes and now I always try to have "healthy" things that I like in the fridge if I want a snack.
I still have chocolate every so often, only a little bit, but that is my treat.
I get weighed every Thursday, and in the evening I'll have what I want to eat before I start again on Friday morning to be "good" again.
I don't have a set of scales in the house and only get weighed once a week. If I did have scales at home I would be on them four or five times a day. Silly, I know, but that is what I have done in the past. 
What I also do now is wear the charm bracelet that my husband Steve gave me the day before our wedding. Every time I look at it, it helps me to remember that times are better now and I need to have respect for myself and be the person I want to be. It may sound silly, but it works for me.
I read once about a cord you can buy which you tie around your waist and when it becomes tight you know you have eaten too much. A simple reminder of what you are doing, so whatever works for you.
What I think I am saying is we all have things we would like to achieve. As I said earlier we are all different and to reach those goals we need to know who we are and what it is that works for us.
Just knowing who we are can make us so much more confident and stronger and help us to cope with whatever life throws at us. 
I hope that what I have said and my ideas will help you to work out what is good for you.
As for me, well I have my blog to share with you what I do, and if it worked for me, only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment