Friday 15 October 2021

ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

 15th October, 2021

I am now at the eight week post-op stage with my hip replacement. It is amazing looking back how much can change in eight weeks. I have started to notice just what the bad hip was doing to me and what has changed. I am still in a lot of pain, but that pain is caused by other health issues. There is a slight improvement to the flexibility in my right leg, which is great. I don't struggle quite as much when sitting on a public toilet (too much information :-)) but it is important in this situation.

I went to the cinema this week with a seated cushion, a v-shaped cushion for my back, crutches, and my walker along with some strong painkillers. That's quite a bit to take, but I went. I did have to get up at one point during the film, but it was so important to me to be doing something “normal”. It is mine and Steve's wedding anniversary on the 16th and we are hoping to get out together. We have been married seventeen years, together for eighteen, and our wedding anniversary is so important to us.

When you have found the right person, to spend time together is so special, and we enjoy every moment!

I have been thinking about time in oh, so many different ways. When me got married, our first dance was Louis Armstrong's “All the Time in the World” which was also featured in the James Bond film “No Time To Die” which is what we went to see. We didn't know beforehand that the song was going to be featured, though.

We got married in our forties, so we were a lot older than some, but we knew even so that we had all the time left in our future to be together. If would have been so different if we had married young, but time is relative to the situation you are in. Something else that happened to me also made me think about time. I get, for some reason, emails from a weight loss company. I can't think of a better way to describe it without naming them, which I don't want to do. I must have shown an interest way, way back to see what they did and I must still be on their mailing list. They use a very low calorie way of losing weight, which I was not interested in doing. This was the same company that emailed me about being a leader for them , even though I had not used their system to lose weight myself. I am not interested in eating only 600 to 800 calories a day and would not encourage people to do that just for me to earn money. If someone chooses to do this, then that is up to them. I have tried most things in the past, but I am not interested in doing it now. Anyway, this company emailed me about joining a social media group. It interested me for information's sake, and I started to fill in the form with auto fill. Then, when I saw the questions they were asking me about doing this plan I backed out and deleted the email. Later on I discover that they had still added me to the group along with 121 other people that day. I knew I shouldn't have, but I looked at some of the posts in the group and it made me very upset.

People that were so desperate and happy to lose a lot of weight each week by eating non-conventional foods and such low calories. It reminded me of my past and what I had done all for the glory of losing weight and being slimmer and how it has never worked for me. It can't for anyone in the long term. People are so desperate to find the way to lose weight as quickly and in as little time as possible. There is that word time once again. I quickly left the group. I didn't mean to be there, I shouldn't be there, it brought back so many bad, sad, painful memories for me and I needed NOT to be there.

In my experience sometimes you are so desperate to lose weight, because you are so unhappy at the way you look.

For me put that together with  someone who says they love you says how ugly you are (not Steve, I hasten to add), you want to get rid of that weight as quickly as possible, and you will try anything to do it. Someone in “the know” tells you a way, it has quick results, and you do it. Sometimes over and over again. But there you have it once again. In my experience the quicker the weight comes off, the quicker it goes back on, because it is not sustainable and what have you learnt? Nothing. You haven't retrained your brain which can take a very long time. Time someone does not want to spend. However... This time with me it has taken me about twenty months to lose around about 102 pounds. Down a bit, up a bit, around about the same, but roughly one to one and a half pounds a week. How many times have you heard that moan from people at a slimming club which has now become a bit of a joke, “only a pound”! If you lose weight the correct way it can often be only a pound a week. Time passes, no matter what we do, so take it slowly and use every moment to enhance your life and not put yourself under unnecessary pressure.

You won't see instant results and you won't get the compliments so quickly but you stand a much better chance of it working long term. Food, real food, is there to be enjoyed, not demonised. If you really re-educate yourself, you look at what is really important for you and your mind and body. It will take time, but you can achieve your goal in a much more wholesome way. You can, as the saying goes, have your cake, eat it, and still achieve just what you set out to do.

Until next time,

Love, Jackie.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment