Saturday 14 June 2014

PRAISE WHERE PRAISE IS DUE (IT HAD TO BE SAID)

Before I start this weeks blog, I would just like to say that I have reached my first weight loss goal and lost 3 and a half pounds this week, making a total before our grandson's first birthday party of 62 pounds. The cake awaits :)
Having just set my next goal, I feel there is something I need to get off my chest before I start towards it.
Life isn't always easy, and choices may be limited but it is up to us how we cope with the situations we find ourselves in.
Sometimes things that bother one person, another person would not find a problem, but quite often the choices we make do affect the ones around us that we love for better or for worse.
I have said before that back in 2002/3 I lost ten stones in weight whilst taking medication (now withdrawn from the market) to help me do this. It was a complicated time in my life and when I lost weight it did give me a kind of confidence that I had not had before.
At this time I did something I would have never done before and asked a man I knew from a shop I went into if he would like to go to the cinema with me. Within the year we were married and this year we will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Still as much in love today as we were then. (Okay, time to stop the soppy music!)
Now the point I am trying to make is when I first met Steve I was 11 and a half stone. He knew I had lost weight but we had not really talked about it. It's not something you talk to a man in a comic shop about :)
The rest is history. Over the next couple of years I put the weight back on and then it stuck around the 21 stone mark until the start of this year. My weight has never bothered Steve and he and my family love me unconditionally, but the way that my health started deteriorating did really bother them all.
As much as they told me, I dragged my heels because I was in denial. Sometimes we are, but if we want change we are the ones that have the choice to do it and how we do it.
I had been offered surgery and medication again but for me personally I did not want to do it that way. Steve has since told me that he was quite relieved that I decided to try to improve my health and even though my size has never bothered him, he has got quite excited about how much my weight has gone down and he is the one (along with my daughter) who nags me to go out and buy smaller clothes. I have had a lot of support from family and friends, but Steve is the one that puts up with me when I get stressed, cry and feel down; goes without certain foods because he knows I don't want to eat them; puts up with my moaning when we go out for a long walk and I don't feel I can do it. I am the one that decided to give it a go one last time because I wanted to live, but I could not have done it without my family and friends and I could not have done it without Steve. We have gone full circle and hopefully by our wedding anniversary I will once again be the woman he married, just ten years older.
I am so thankful for what I have and grateful for the fact that Steve helps me proofread my blog and enables me to get it onto the web.
Right! Enough of the Oscar speeches. Four months to go, back to the weight loss. My next goal - October 16th!


1 comment: